The small coastal township of Southend was the first seaport in the Limestone Coast. First known as Grey town (named after Governor Grey) in 1846, between 1875 to 1879 it was known as Rivoli Bay South after which it was changed to Grey town until 1971 when it was officially named Southend.
Southend is located 27kms north of Millicent on the Southern Ports Highway (alternate Highway One). Closest to the town of Beachport, it is 20kms south of Beachport, and 80kms west of Penola via Millicent.
This quiet Lobster, fishing port hosts one of the largest fleet of Rock Lobster fishing vessels on the Limestone Coast. The local industries are Rock Lobster fishing, Rock Lobster processing, aquaculture, farming.
In 1845 Cpt. Emmanuel Underwood established a store and jetty at the southern end of Rivoli Bay to cater for inland settlers and passing ships. In 1846 the town was surveyed and named Greytown.