☰ Menu

Environmental Nuisances

Environmental Nuisances

Council receives numerous enquiries regarding nuisance complaints within the Wattle Range Council and often receive enquiries from members of the public to find out who is responsible for dealing with these matters.

Numerous forms of legislation can deal with environmental nuisances and both the Council and the Environment Protection Authority play an important role in responding to environmental nuisance complaints in relation to noise, air quality, odour, dust, water pollution and littering.


In South Australia excessive noise is regulated by the Environment Protection Act 1993 (the EP Act), and by the Environment Protection (Noise) Policy 2007 (Noise Policy). The Noise Policy relates to construction noise, domestic noise, rubbish collection and street sweeping machines, building intruder alarm systems and frost fans.

The EPA plays a role in protecting the community from exposure to unacceptable noise levels. The EPA set policies and guidelines for industry and the community, and work closely with other organisations such as local councils and police to respond to community concerns about noise.

The Environment Protection Noise Policy 2007 can be found here http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/data_and_publications/standards_and_laws/environment_protection_noise_policy

Who can help?

  • 'People' noise
    This includes noise from parties, loud TVs/radios, musical instruments, music events/festivals and revving vehicles. What can you do? Contact your local police station.
  • Animal noise
    From pets such as dogs, parrots and roosters. Contact Council’s General Inspectors on (08) 8733 0900.
  • Liquor-licensed premises
    From pubs, nightclubs and other premises licensed under the Liquor Licensing Act 1997. Contact Consumer and Business Services http://www.cbs.sa.gov.au/wcm/
  • Noise in the workplace
    For details on legislative requirements, contact Safework SA http://www.safework.sa.gov.au/
  • Neighbourhood machine noise
    This includes fixed (air conditioners, pool pumps, etc) and non-fixed (power tools, lawnmowers, etc) equipment. Contact Legal Services Commission http://www.lsc.sa.gov.au/ only when negotiation with your neighbour breaks down.
  • Construction/building noise
    Noise from building sites is controlled under the Construction Noise (link to PDF) part of the EPA Noise (Noise) Policy 2007.
  • Industrial and commercial premises
    For detail on legislative requirements, contact the EPA http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/contact or view the Environment Protection (Noise) Policy 2007http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/data_and_publications/standards_and_laws/environment_protection_noise_policy
  • Aircraft noise
    For noise from aircraft, contact the Air Services Australia http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/contact-us/ noise enquiries hotline on 1800 802 584.
  • Noise from strata or community-titled units
    For noise issues from or within units, contact your strata or management corporation group.

Air Quality

The EPA monitors and regulates South Australia’s air quality. They have a strong focus on the control of emissions that contribute to pollution. The EPA monitor air quality in numerous locations and have programs to maintain and improve our air quality.

They work in partnership with industry and community to support better environmental outcomes.

Further information on Air Quality can be found here:



Environmental nuisances related to odour can be caused from a range of activities including animal keeping, business operations and waste management. For odour related to domestic premises, Council recommends that you first talk to your neighbours. Find out what concerns they may have and seek suggestions about solving any problems. Solutions can often be found that satisfy everyone.

If an odour has possible health effects, contact Council on (08) 8733 0900.


Dust from building sites can often cause a nuisance to adjoining land owners.  Whilst builders and developers have a responsibility to ensure that the amount of dust leaving from a site is minimised, there are occasions when this does not occur.  In this instance the EPA http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/contact should be the first point of contact on (08) 8204 2004 to determine if there is a breach of the Environment Protection (Air Quality) Policy 1994. 

Water Pollution

The EPA works to protect South Australian waters from the adverse impacts of pollution that might reduce their value to current and future generations. This includes our creeks, streams, rivers, coastal waters, groundwater and aquifers.

The EPA is responsible for the control of stormwater pollution through the Environment Protection Act 1993. It provides the regulatory framework to protect the South Australian environment and is supported through a suite of subordinate legislation and regulatory tools including the Environment Protection (Water Quality) Policy 2003.

To report water pollution, contact the EPA http://www.epa.sa.gov.au/contact on (08) 8204 2004.


Litter can be almost any material that is disposed of incorrectly which can include cigarette butts, drink containers, food wrappers, plastic bags, bills, junk mail, poorly secured material from a trailer and illegal dumping.

Provisions for litter management and enforcement fines are contained in the Local Government Act 1999. To report littering on a public road or public place, contact Council on (08) 8733 0900.

See Illegal Dumping for further information.


My Local Services

Page Last Modified: 2016-01-28T14:35:14