The building was erected in 1879-1880 for FM Bevelaqua, who was at the time a shipping agent in Beachport. When the District Council of Beachport was first formed in 1882, they leased an office in the building for 8shillings per week. The building was sold to Dalgety & Company, after having 3 previous owners, in 1912. The building changed hands 6 times, before being purchased by the District Council of Beachport. In 1972 the Beachport & District Branch of National Trust of South Australia Incorporated was granted a lease of the building. The restoration of the building was underway on the 11th April 1972 and was carried out by voluntary labour, personal donations and the assistance of a grant from the Rural Unemployed Relief Scheme through the District Council of Beachport. The building was officially opened on Sunday 8th October 1972 by the then Chairman of the Council, Mr Brian deCourcey-Ireland.
Recounts the story of the districts past, including an insight into Beachport’s whaling and fishing history. Displays of blacksmith tools, farming and fishing gear, relics from local shipwrecks, copies of diaries and early household equipment. Upstairs rooms have all been furnished in the manner of the period of the building.
Open 10am – 4pm daily. Other times can be arranged by appointment. Phone (08) 87358013
Entry fee applies.