Building and Renovation

Development approval is required from Council to build a new house or extend an existing house. Development approval consists of both Planning Consent and Building Consent. Before designing your new house or extension, it is advisable that you find out from Council which zone your property is located in, and ask for a copy of the relevant provisions. Wattle Range Council Development Plan(11852 kb) contains maps and zoning information for further reference.

The Planning Consent part of the application may consider:

  • Location of the house or extension on the block
  • Its relation to adjoining properties
  • Its impact on the streetscape
  • The amount of private open space provided
  • How much of the site will be covered with buildings
  • Setbacks from the front, rear and side boundaries.

What is Building Rules Consent? An application for building consent is assessed against the technical requirements of the Building Code of Australia or the South Australian Housing Code, and other relevant standards to ensure:

  • Structural adequacy
  • Fire safety
  • Health and amenity of the building

View the Development Information for further information.

For further information on this or any other issue please contact Council:
Telephone: (08) 8733 0900
Postal: PO Box 27, MILLICENT  SA  5280