A land division or sub-division is where an allotment is divided to create additional allotments or to adjust a boundary between existing adjoining allotments.

Land divisions are submitted to the Development Assessment Commission via EDALA and forwarded to Council for assessment and approval of Development Plan Consent. The Development Assessment Commission also forwards the application to other Government agencies, such as SA Water, SA Power and Transport SA for comment which will form part of the conditions of consent. It is advisable to contact a Certified Surveyor to lodge an application on your behalf.

What do I need to consider when subdividing a site?

It is recommended that you contact Council to discuss your proposal and enable Council to check the proposed land division against the requirements of Council’s Development Plan.

For further information relating to land division processes please discuss with a Land Surveyor or download the 'Guide for Applicants (Land Division Guide)'https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/10143/Land_division_guide_for_applicants.pdf

Land Division applications may need to consider the following:

  • The setback of houses and garages from roads
  • The setbacks required from adjoining properties
  • Useable private open space
  • Covered areas and outbuildings
  • Car-parking
  • Energy efficiency design of houses
  • Stormwater disposal
  • Privacy
  • Driveway widths for rear yard development
  • Internal access roads
  • Significant trees

Phone Council's Planning Officer on (08) 8733 0900 for further information or email council@wattlerange.sa.gov.au