About the Centre
The Gladys Smith Early Learning Centre is a not-for-profit community based centre under the sponsorship of Wattle Range Council. It is a long-day-care service with a capacity for 60 places. The centre is open from 7:30am – 5:30pm, five days per week for 50 weeks of the year. We offer full-day, half-day, casual and emergency care sessions. Places are available for babies and children from 6 weeks to 6 years of age.
It is the vision of the Centre to provide a high quality education and care service that embraces the learning and capabilities of our youngest citizens, in a nurturing and engaging environment. We aim to meet the needs of the families in our community and work collaboratively with parents in the education and care of their children at a most important stage of their development (the early years). We welcome parent participation and involvement in the centre and encourage open communication between parents/directors/educators and administration staff.
All Australian Childcare Centres must be licenced under the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010, and comply with the Regulations under the Act. The Regulations cover all aspects of operation including;
- Quality Improvement
- Documentation and Educational Program
- Health, Hygiene and Safety
- Staffing and Supervision
- Indoor/Outdoor space and equipment
- Medical and Emergency
- Administration, Policies and Procedures
Wattle Range Council are the Approved Provider for the Service and are responsible for;
- Financial accountability
- Receiving/distributing monies granted, fees received and childcare benefit payments
- Audit processes
- Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare
- General maintenance of building and grounds
The Centre has recently achieved an 'Exceeding Rating' in the National Quality Standards accreditation process.
The Centre comprises of three main play areas according to age groups and staffed according to current ratio regulations;
There are separate sleeping areas adjacent to the Koala and Wallaby rooms, with the Wallaby sleep area also doubling as an extra activity room. A large dining and kitchen area are available where children gather daily to eat a nutritious cooked lunch. The Centre boasts a large, natural outdoor play environment providing opportunity for children to explore, engage in physical activity and grow produce to cook, eat and sell.
Meet the Staff
Back Row (L to R): Naomi Aston, Teagan Harvey, Paige Bott, Alicia Sapiatzer, Susan Krause, Carol Bishop
Front Row (L to R): Laura Beames, Natalie Lowndes, Tracey Pratt, Renae Kemp, Ellie Sullivan, Alison Varcoe (Administration) and Clara Walker (Director)
|Team Leaders||Carol Bishop|
(Diploma of Teaching)
|Alicia Sapiatzer |
|Cooks||Renae Kemp||Sue Clifford|
Enrolment & Orientation
The process for enrolment of your child at the Centre is as follows:
- Arrange for an appointment with Director for orientation tour of the Centre and grounds and to collect o copy of the Centre Handbook.
- Register with Centrelink, informing them of your intention to utilize a long-day care service. (Please contact the Centre to obtain our provider number)
- Meet with Administration officer to complete an enrolment form, pay registration fee ($15) and arrange preliminary visits (Preliminary visits are approx. 20 minutes duration, providing an opportunity for you and your child to meet the Team Leader and Educators in the Room to discuss your child’s needs and routines, gain information about how the Room operates and educational planning and learning.)
- Once visits are complete bookings can be made with the Administration Officer. We recommend starting a child with two half day sessions first before moving into full day sessions if required.
The Enrolment form is available to download below.
The Parent Committee has been an integral part of the Centre since it opened in 1977. The role of the committee has evolved over the years to become a strong source of support and advocacy for the Centre. The Committee consists of a President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Committee Members. Meetings are held regularly throughout the year, they are a great way to meet other parents and contribute ideas. Parents are welcome to attend regularly as a committee member or occasionally to raise issues, concerns or contribute to a project. As the role of a parent is a busy one we value the time and contributions made by our families and aim to continue to strengthen these connections.
New members are always welcome and parents interested in joining the Committee should enquire at the Centre as to when the next meeting will be held.
Bookings & Charges
|Full Day (7.30 am to 5.30 pm)|
|Morning (7.30 am to 12.30 pm)|
|Afternoon (12.30 pm to 5.30 pm)|
|Hourly Care (11.30 am to 1.30 pm)*|
|After Kindy/School Care (3.30 to 5.30 pm)**|
* hourly sessions are available in addition to a morning or afternoon session to accomodate parent working hours and are subject to attendance numbers.
** parents are responsible for arranging transportation of their child from Kindy/School to the Centre.
Fees are reduced by the Government's Child Care Benefit and Rebate. For information regarding eligibility and an estimator visit www.mychild.gov.au
Fees & Charges - Community Services - CHILD CARE
|Permanent Full Day (Under 2's)||$104.00|
|Permanent Full Day (Over 2's)||$101.00|
|Permanent Half Day (Under 2's)||$52.00|
|Permanent Half Day (Over 2's)||$50.50|
|Casual Full Day (Under 2's)||$119.00|
|Casual Full Day (Over 2's)||$116.00|
|Casual Half Day (Under 2's)||$60.00|
|Casual Half Day (Over 2's)||$58.00|
|Hourly Rate - 11.30 a.m. - 12.30 a.m./ 3.30 p.m. - 5.30 p.m.||$36.00|
|Enrolment Fee (One Off)||$20.00|
|Late Collection Fee (Per 15 Minute Intervals)||$15.00|
|Conessions available for eligible families through Centrelink|
It is important to read and complete your enrolment form accurately. The Centre updates enrolment forms annually however it is your responsibility to update details as they change throughout the year. Information contained on these forms will be treated as strictly confidential with access limited to the Directors, Administration officer and Room Leader. Please do not hesitate to ask staff for assistance in completing your enrolment form.
Absence forms must be completed a minimum of one week prior to annual leave/holidays being taken. To ensure your holding fee of 50% of your normal fee charged whilst you are away. This only applies to permanent bookings.
For further information please do not hesitate to contact the Centre:
Telephone: (08) 8733 3030
Postal: PO Box 27, MILLICENT SA 5280
Or find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gladyssmithearlylearningcentre/