Building & Planning FAQ

Demolition work means any work that involves the demolition, destruction or removal of a structure or part of a structure that is load-bearing or is related to the physical integrity of the structure.

Do I need approval?

You may need to apply for approval before you start.  To find out if approval is required, please visit the PlanSA website.

Demolition work should be carefully planned.  Prior to commencing the demolition, please consider the following:

  • Will any temporary formwork, shoring and bracing be required?
  • Will any fencing, hoarding or warning notices be placed around the site?
  • What method is to be used to suppress dust on the site?
  • What methods will be used to prevent spread of dirt, mud and debris from the site onto the public road?
  • What methods will be used to control mud/sediment from entering Council’s stormwater system?
  • What methods are to be used to control site surface water, during demolition and after?
  • How is the demolished material to be disposed of (or salvaged)?
  • Are there any hazardous materials on the site (e.g. asbestos)?
  • Are there any known contaminants on the site?
  • Will it be necessary to close off any footpath, road or laneway during the demolition work?

For further information and advice, please contact our Development Team on 8733 0900 or email

Council has no legal authority in disputes over fences.

You should talk to the owner of the neighbouring land in a calm and courteous manner if you are in disagreement about:

  • Sharing costs
  • Carrying out the work
  • The type of work required – e.g. repair the fence rather than replace it
  • Accessing their land to carry out the work

The Legal Services Commission produces a useful pamphlet “Fences and the Law” that contains relevant information and forms required to assist in fencing negotiations and/or disputes.

If you cannot reach an agreement you can contact the Southern and Limestone Coast Community Justice Centre on 8384 5222 or the Legal Services Commission, Legal Help Line on 1300 369 236.  They can act as an independent third party to help you reach an agreement.

Related information

Development approval for a new pool

Development approval is required for a new swimming pool, spa pool and safety fencing.  Council will check:

  • the details and location of safety barriers
  • the safety of the pump
  • the adequacy of structural support for the swimming pool or spa pool.

Fencing must be installed before a new pool is filled with water.

For further information and advice, please contact our Development Team on 8733 0900 or email

Above-ground or inflatable pools and portable spa pools

If the swimming pool, including an inflatable pool, or spa pool, has a filtration system and has a depth exceeding a water depth of 300mm you will:

  • need to get approval for it to be placed and/or constructed on your land
  • ensure safety features, including a swimming pool safety barrier/fence are in place.

The sides of an above-ground pool can be a suitable safety barrier if:

  • they are non-climbable and are at least 1.2 metres high, and
  • a barrier is placed around the ladder (even if it is removable), and
  • a barrier is placed around anything else that can be climbed on.

Detailed information on pool and spa safety can be found on the South Australian government web site.

For further information and advice, please contact our Development Team on 8733 0900 or email

Public swimming and spa pools – inspections

The Council’s Environmental Health Officer conducts routine inspections and complaint investigations of public swimming and spa pools in the Council area to ensure their compliance with the South Australian Public Health Act, 2011.  Please refer to the SA Health web site for further information and standards relating to public swimming pool and spas in South Australia

Private swimming and spa pools

It is the responsibility of the owner of the pool or spa to ensure it is properly maintained.  If a pool is not properly looked after, it may become a breeding ground for harmful bacteria and other organisms that may cause serious illness.

The correct use of appropriate chemicals and good management of disinfection, filtration and recirculation will keep the pool water clean, safe and in a hygienic condition.

Please refer to the SA Health website for factsheets on private swimming pools or contact the Council’s Environmental Health Officer on 8733 0900 or email