Green waste is collected fortnightly from the 240 litre bin with the green lid.
Green waste collection is available in the larger townships and where land size does not encourage residents to compost their green waste on their own properties. The areas for green waste collection are shown on the Waste Collection Zone Maps.
Everything that you put in your green waste bin goes to Van Schaiks Bio Gro at Wandilo for large scale composting. If a load is severely contaminated with rubbish that cannot be composted, the entire load ends up in landfill.
What can I put in My Green Bin?
Items that CAN be placed in your green bin include:
- Lawn clippings
- Small prunings and clippings
- Bark, small branches and twigs
- Cut flowers
- Sweepings, or
- Food scraps (in compostable bags)
Items that CAN NOT be placed in your green bin include:
- Plastic bags, plant pots or trays
- Painted or treated timber
- Stones, rocks, bricks or rubble
- Dirt, soil or sand
- Branches larger than 15 cm in diameter
- Gardening tools, or
- Irrigation hoses
Tips for looking after your Green Bin
The green organics bin can become heavy and /or odorous after prolonged periods. To avoid compaction and improve air circulation in your bin please see the following handy tips:
- Place coarser materials, such as sticks or branches, in the base of the bin
- Aim for a mixture of coarse and fine organic materials throughout. This will also prevent lawn clippings sticking to the bottom of your bin
- Place organic material in the bin as near as you can to your collection day
- Store the green organics bin away from direct sunlight
- Ensure your kitchen scraps are contained in a compostable bag
- If you don't have grass or garden clippings, line your bin with newspaper, it will prevent smelly residue from your food scraps
What About my Other Garden Trimmings?
Larger items of green waste can also be deposited at any of Council's Resource Recovery or Waste Transfer facilities.
Locations, opening times and information about waste disposal vouchers for Council's Resource Recovery Centres and Waste Transfer Stations are available here.