Rates are set at the commencement of each financial year. Council also collects a levy on behalf of the South East Natural Resources Management Board (NRM Levy). Rates for the current financial year of 2020/2021 are:
- Minimum - $600.00
Rate in the Dollar
- Residential - 0.4710 cents in the $
- Commercial - 0.4003 cents in the $
- Industrial - 0.4003 cents in the $
- Primary Production - 0.3292 cents in the $
- Vacant Land - 0.5674 cents in the $
- Other - 0.5674 cents in the $
Basis of Rating is Capital Value.
0% rate cap applies for 2020/2021
Waste Collection Fees
- 3 Bin Waste collection and recycling service - $346.00 (Eligible Pensioners will receive a rebate of up to $120.00)
- 2 Bin Waste collection and recycling service - $270.00 (Eligible Pensioners will receive a rebate of up to $90.00)
- CWMS Occupied (Southend, Penola, Kalangadoo) - $627.00
- CWMS Occupied (Beachport) - $712.00
- CWMS Vacant (Southend, Penola, Kalangadoo) - $469.00
- CWMS Vacant (Beachport) - $534.00
NRM Levy - (State Government Tax - No additional rebates apply).
- Residential, Vacant & Other - $81.10
- Commercial - $118.10
- Industrial - $187.95
- Primary Production - $350.05
Due Dates for Payment
Rates may be paid in full or in quarterly instalments. The due dates for rate payments for the current financial year are:
1st Instalment 02.09.20
2nd Instalment 02.12.20
3rd Instalment 03.03.21
4th Instalment 02.06.21
Rate Notices must be forwarded at least 30 days but not more than 60 days before the due date (usually late July, late October, late January and late April).
2% fine imposed on any outstanding instalment.
.43% interest charged on any overdue amount on the 14th day of each month thereafter.
.26% postponement rate
Any ratepayer who may, or is likely to, experience difficulty with meeting the standard payments are invited to contact the Rates Department on (08) 8733 0900 to discuss payment options. All enquiries are treated confidentially by the Council.
Refer to Council's Annual Business Plan for full details relating to rates, service charges, levies, payments etc.
- Bpay - You must be registered with your bank/credit union to use this option.
- Phone - By credit card - telephone 1300 30 10 90 and follow directions.
- Internet - Make a Payment Online
- In Person - At the Council Offices during office hours.
- Australia Post - At any Post Office.
- Mail - Send the bottom portion of your rate notice together with a cheque or money order in the reusable envelope.
- Direct Debit and Service Agreement Form
Rate Concessions - From 1 July 2015, the State Government has elected to pay directly to those eligible ratepayers a single "cost of living payment". This payment may be used by ratepayers to offset Council rates. To check eligibility, contact the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Concessions Hotline 1800 307 758. Furthermore effective from 1 July 2017 concession applicable to ratepayers who receive Community Wastewater Management Schemes, will also receive these payments directly from the State Government and will no longer appear on the rates notices.
Pensioner Concessions - To be eligible to claim a pensioner concession the property must be the owners principal place of residence. If the owner is already claiming a pensioner concession on another property they will be unable to claim on a second property. The eligible pensioner concession card must be sighted and appropriate application completed and forwarded to Councils Finance Officer – Rates.
State Government Concessions - Until 2015/2016, the State Government funded concessions on Council rates. These concessions were formerly available to the holders of pensioner concession cards, veterans, low-income earners, unemployed, students and self-funded retirees. These concessions were all abolished by the State Government with effect from 30 June 2015. From 1 July 2015, the State Government has elected to replace these concessions with a single “cost-of-living payment” provided directly to those entitled. From 1 July 2017, the State Government has also elected to pay CWMS concessions directly to those eligible.These payments may be used to offset Council rates. To check eligibility, contact the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Concessions Hotline 1800 307 758 or at www.sa.gov.au/concessions
Valuation - The capital value used by Council for your property is provided by Valuation SA. Any enquiries regarding this value should be directed to the State Valuation Office on 1300 653 345.
Single Farming Enterprise - All rural ratepayers who own and operate two or more portions of rateable land as one entity can apply to Council to be treated as a Single Farm Enterprise, via the Application form.
Land Use Objection - If you wish to have your land use code reviewed an application can be made to Council for formal consideration by the State Valuation Office. Application form is available to download here.
Change of Address - If changing address details please complete the Change of Address form or for property ownership, please advise any changes as quickly as possible by sending an email to email@example.com with all the details including your daytime telephone number.
Phone (08) 8733 0900 for any other general rates queries, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.