Nuisances & Littering

Local Nuisances

Any adverse impact on the amenity value of an area, which unreasonably interferes with, or is likely to unreasonably interfere with, the enjoyment of that area by people in that area.

Some examples of local nuisances may include:


We all have a responsibilty in minimising local nuisance

A person’s activities should not unreasonably interfere with the well-being or enjoyment of an area by others. This includes not only the indoor and outdoor spaces of a person’s own property but public and community areas such as parks, other places of public recreation, and commercial precincts.

The community should all be mindful of the degree of potential local nuisance that can be generated by things such as unwarranted smoke, excessive noise, nuisance dust or unkempt properties and always seek to minimise such impacts as much as possible. Discussing any concerns with your neighbour/person causing the alleged nuisance may be all that is needed.


If an activity you are proposing to undertake in the Wattle Range Council area may generate a local nuisance, then you are able to apply to Council for an exemption. Council must consider whether exceptional circumstances exist in relation to an application before an exemption may be granted. 

To help demonstrate to Council that exceptional circumstances may exist, your application will need to include a nuisance management plan describing the steps that will be taken to prevent, minimise or address any adverse effects on the amenity value of the area concerned and also describing the exceptional circumstances that exist to justifyc the granting of an exemption. 

Applications can be made by:

  1. Completing the Local Nuisance - Exemption Application Form 
  2. Submitting the form and associated documents to Council by

When Council grants an exemption, details of the declaration will be made available in the Current Exemptions section below.


Current Exemptions

Applicant: Ray McIntyre
Exemption Location:

Lot 3 Railway Terrace TANTANOOLA and Sections 582, 583 & 412 Railway Terrace TANTANOOLA 

Reference Number: O78509
Date of Exemption: Daily between 5pm & 8pm until 26 April 2019
The Activity: Noise (bird scaring)








Reporting a Nuisance

Speak to Person

Initially you should try and discuss your concerns with the people (e.g. neighbours) from where the nuisance is coming from as they may not even be aware of the effect they are having on others. This is often the quickest way to find a solution.

Reporting to a relavant Authority

Some examples of the types of complaints that Council may be able to investigate include:

  • dust from construction sites
  • noise or litter from construction sites
  • pigeons/rodents
  • derelict or unsightly properties
  • unathorised burning causing smoke
  • mobile food van litter or noise

You can make a report by contacting Council with as much information as possible.

Council is limited in what it is able to investigate and follow up, the laws specify what may be considered a local nuisance and anything outside of this, Council is unable to deal with, here are a few examples:

  • People noise including music and voices from domestic premises – SAPOL investigate such complaints tel: 131 444
  • Any activity from liquor licensed premises – Liquor Licensing Authority investigate such complaints tel: 131 882
  • Noise from vehicles (other than vehicles operating within, or entering or leaving, business premises)
  • Activities controlled by an Environment Protection Authority SA licence – EPA tel: 8204 2004

Reporting a Nuisance After Hours

To report a nuisance outside of ordinary office hours, please contact SA Police on 131 444 if you require action at that time. Alternatively please contact Council during business hours to report the nuisance.


Litter is solid or a liquid waste which can come from residential or commercial premises, individuals or vehicles. Litter can include: 

  • Beverage containers
  • Chewing gum
  • Cigarettes or cigarette butts
  • Clothing, footwear or personal items
  • Dead or diseased animals
  • Demolition and building material
  • Food or food scraps
  • Furniture
  • Green waste
  • Machinery or equipment
  • Packaging
  • Vehicles or vehicle parts

and also includes the following hazardous substances:

  • Asbestos or items containing asbestos
  • Live cigarettes or cigarette butts
  • Used syringes
  • Glass

Reporting Litter

Instances of litter or illegal rubbish dumping can be reported by contacting Council