Kerbside General Waste
Your General Waste bin is the smaller 140 litre bin with the red lid. It is collected weekly. Please check the Kerbside Collection Service page for your collection day.
Items that CAN be placed in your household waste bin include:
- Any items that can not be recycled or composted except the prohibited items below;
- Plastic bags, garbage bags, non-recyclable plastic and food packaging (e.g. chip packets);
- Crockery, broken glass, mirrors, etc;
- Plastic bags, polystyrene, foam, cling film;
- Alkaline batteries;
- Nappies; or
- Ropes and hoses.
- All liquid waste, building and construction waste (including rocks and earth);
- Hot ashes, hazardous or radioactive materials;
- Flares, ammunition or explosives;
- Medical waste;
- Automobile parts; or
- Gas cylinders.
See our Tricky Waste page for information on tiems that cannot be placed into your kerbside bins (e.g. e-waste, light globes, mobile phones, waste oil etc.)
You can reduce what goes into your waste bin by:
AVOID waste in the first place
- Refuse junk mail if you don’t want to read it
- Share magazines and newspapers or access them online
REDUCE what you throw away
- Set up a compost bin and worm farm
- Buy in bulk and products with minimal packaging
- Repair before replacing
REUSE materials in an innovative way
- Buy items in refillable containers
- Reuse containers for storing food, pens, buttons, screws etc.
RECYCLE products to save natural resources
- Close the loop and buy recycled products
- Use your recycling bin or your local recycling depot